Rabies (also known as Hydrophobia)
- Rabies CANNOT be diagnosed visually. Only a laboratory can determine if an animal is rabid.
- House cats are a significant threat for rabies.
- Opossums have been known to contract rabies, though it is
- Rabies attacks the nervous system.
- Rabies vaccination is not as painful as it used to be but it still hurts the wallet.
- Avoid damaging the brains of animals that are in need of rabies testing.
This means no tennis racquets when dealing with bats.
Rabies--Canadian Food Inspection Agency
Rabies--World Health Organization
Rabies--Kansas State Univ.
Rabies Testing Lab
Rabies--Penn State University
Mar 12, 2007. Wildlife Services seeks to control Rabies. Pittsburgh Tribune
Nov. 3, 2006. 10
yr old rabies victim dies. IndyChannel.com
Sept 14, 2006.
Rabies increasing in Maine. Bangor Daily News.
May 16, 2006. "Carbon raccoon case reveals rabies risk.
Woman is getting shots for scratch. Advice: Avoid wild animals and vaccinate pets."
By Chris Parker. The Morning Call, PA.